Sunday, March 18, 2012

Technology Tools as Related to Bloom's Digital Taxonomy


I really enjoyed experiencing many technology tools over the past two weeks.  After looking through the recommended sites (Top 100 Tools for 2011 from Centre for Learning and Performance Technologies, The 35 Best Web 2.0 Classroom Tools from Edudemic,  Top 100 Sites of 2011 from Tech&Learning), I investigated many of the tools listed.  I picked tools that I really enjoyed and could see myself using in a classroom.  In order to be included on my map, I needed to be able to actually think of a particular project or use for the tool in my classroom.  I also picked tools that were simple to use and simple to integrate into an educational setting.  Next, I reviewed the tool and thought about where it would fit into Bloom's Digital Taxonomy and the skills necessary to teach our students.  From there I created a map that was easy to read and easy to gain benefit.   A teacher can think about the outcome that is necessary from the upcoming lesson and chose appropriate technology to utilize.  If, for example, a teacher wants students to create a story map about their assigned topic in preparation for writing a report, the teacher can simply look at the skill "analyzing" and see a few options of tools that could be integrated into the lesson.  Bubbl.us and Popplet are two tools that would satisfy this educational outcome quite remarkably.  

Infusing technology on a regular basis into the classroom education is a necessary task for teachers.  In this day in age, students need to be able to complete projects that are interesting to them and that are preparing them for the world in which we live.  We live in a digital world. Educators really need to embrace this fact and align the education they are providing students with current human culture.

1 comment:

  1. Katie I really like how you used Blooms Taxonomy to find Web 2.0 Tools to use in your classroom! I have never heard of Storybird, so I checked it out and I love it! You have a great list of tools!

    ReplyDelete