Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Game Based Learning

I created a playlist about video gaming for preschool children.  I began with a few articles discussing the pros and cons of encouraging video gaming in young children, then I presented a few lists of quality, free games for preschool children and some links to specific, well-recommended preschool games.  Enjoy!


Create your own Playlist on MentorMob!

 

I was challenged this week to play a video game for an hour.  I chose to play JumpStart because I thought it was a good opportunity to investigate a game for my children.  I was a character that ran around on screen with a small half-hatched egg following me.  I had that opportunity to play with my egg by decorating it, tickling it and making it dance.  I am certain that in future levels I would have been able to see the egg hatch, but I played for an hour and didn't see it up to that point.  This game is certainly an endogenous game, meaning that it is a complex game that allows players to experiment with prior knowledge and to utilize skills that are used to solve problems.  Throughout this process, I quickly learned that I am not a video-gamer.  I simply feel like I am wasting my time.  The entire time that I am playing I am thinking about the laundry that needs to be folded, the dinner that needs to be prepared and the children that want to play with me.  I love games, but I love board games.  Game night is one of my favorite family evenings.  I love playing and chatting with my family.  I do think, though, that this unit allowed me to consider the benefits that video gaming presents to children.  I am the mom that is constantly asking her kids to stop playing video games and to go do something else.  I limit their "screen" play to an hour a day simply because I would prefer them to be up, active and communicating with each other.  This module has introduced me to various benefits of video gaming including thinking through experimentation, gathering data from multiple sources and making decisions on what to do quickly, multitasking, taking risks and making dangerous moves without any risk to themselves and the feeling of improvement and success.  I definitely will be more lenient with their screen play and will try to remember that they are learning valuable skills while playing.  But, I do think that balance is key.  It is very important for them to be outside playing and communicating with their family and friends.

Here is a picture of me playing JumpStart...



No comments:

Post a Comment